Young swimmer enjoys self
简介HANGZHOU, China -- After sending a message to the rest of the swimming competition at the Asian Game ...
HANGZHOU, China -- After sending a message to the rest of the swimming competition at the Asian Games by winning the men's 50-meter freestyle heats Monday morning, South Korean swimmer Ji Yu-chan said he would take it a step further.
Ji set an Asian Games record with 21.84 seconds to top all qualifiers at Hangzhou Olympic Sports Centre Aquatic Sports Arena in the heats. With his confidence running at an all-time high, Ji declared he was now ready to win the gold medal in the final scheduled for the evening.
The 21-year-old then went out and did exactly that, breaking his own Asiad record to win the gold in 21.72 seconds.
"I had such a great time in the heats, and so I went out on a limb and made that declaration," Ji said. "I am happy I was able to make it come true."
That moment of self-fulfilling prophecy made Ji the first swimming champion for South Korea at this Asiad. On Day 2 of the swimming races, Ji also became the first non-Chinese swimmer to win a gold in the men's races.
"I watched every race yesterday, and saw Chinese swimmers sweeping up every gold medal," Ji said. "I figured it'd be nice if I could put a stop to that streak. I am really happy I've done it."
Ji said he had enough confidence in his abilities to talk the talk and then walk the walk.
"To be able to win this gold away from home, in China, means that much more to me," Ji said. "Hopefully, my teammates will pick it up from here and win more gold medals from now on."
Ji had earlier said his goal at this competition is to get into the 21-second territory. Accomplishing that goal will do wonders for his career, Ji said.
"This record and the gold medal make me fall more deeply in love with swimming," Ji said. "This will push me to keep working even harder."
Ji said he wanted to challenge the Asian continental record of 21.67 seconds, set by Shinri Shioura of Japan in April 2019.
"I came up just short there. I guess I was a bit more nervous than I thought," Ji said. "I am satisfied with my time but I won't be too content. I will continue to put in the work." (Yonhap)
GWANGJU, Gyeonggi Province -- Korea's ceramic heritage dates back 8,000 years, with a lineage o ...
The National Changgeuk Company of Korea, which recently premiered its modern take on traditional cha ...
Nearly two million individuals in Korea have formally declined life-extending medical interventions, ...
Korea Post names new president
Surveillance cameras to be a must in hospital operating rooms
[New in Korean] Year 2020 revisited under shadow of disconnection
Dodgers prospect trying to fit in with S. Korean nat'l baseball team
House ownership widens wealth gap between young and old
Hyundai Engineering wins US gas
- Govt. to survey spending on private education of preschoolers, Suneung retakers
- [Herald Interview] Mimiirose hopes to make a name for itself
- Hyundai Motor may sell Russian plant to local firm
- Broadcom to appeal S. Korean regulator's fine over unfair Samsung Electronics deal
- 여당, 총선변수에 고심…“쇄신한 민주당과 대결 준비해야”
- SM founder Lee Soo
- Posco to build joint venture with US grain company
- Unification minister to visit Britain, Germany
- [Feature] The rise and fall of terrestrial TV dramas
- NK slams Yoon's warning against Pyongyang
- BTS' Jungkook to drop new single '3D'
- Outpaced by Coupang, Shinsegae carries out major leadership reshuffle
- [Today’s K
- Xi says he will consider S. Korea visit
- Surveillance cameras to be a must in hospital operating rooms
- S. Korean firms urge US to clarify 'foreign entity of concern'
- Allies vow stern measures against Russia
- [Korea Beyond Korea] 'Funding drought jeopardizes interest in ancient Korea studies in US'
- US finalizes national security 'guardrails' for CHIPS funding
- [Herald Interview] ‘Another Body,’ a riveting documentary on devasting effects of deepfake porn
- PM to meet with Xi on sidelines of Asian Games in Hangzhou
- LG Chem pivots to LFP with Huayou for Morocco plant
- [Weekender] Behind the scenes of Korean food crazes
- Hyundai Engineering wins US gas
- [New in Korean] Ancient Korean mummy unearthed in Irish peatland
- Gangwon Forestry Exhibition 2023 kicks off in Korea's 'forest capital'
- [Book Review] 'Lee Kun
- Ministry uncovers 1,802 Youth Protection Act violations
- [Photo News] Mudeungsan fully opens door to public after 57 years
- Russian top diplomat to visit NK, accuses US of fueling tensions on Korean Peninsula